11 May 2009

Written Evaluation

I received my last written evaluation in my mailbox this afternoon. For the most part it was pretty good. It praised my clinical skills. The one part that I completely disagree with is my "mood at work." It is no secret that I don't really love my supervisor and think she's a moron. The woman can't remember a conversation that has occurred more than 5 times...and she constantly makes my workload redundant. Not to mention, she often reads into things and assumes that I and other colleagues are having reactions to clients, when in fact what we are reacting to is her. About 2 months ago we actually sat down and talked. I let her know that I am tired of being pigeon-holed as "the gay therapist" and tired of her assuming that I have a reaction anytime somebody with a lisp walks by or there is a slightly dikey haircut roaming around. She, in turn, turned that conversation back on me and I learned that I am not going to be able to handle conflict directly with her anymore...so instead...I went into maintenance mode and am doing what I need to get by and get out of there. 7 more weeks on my freakin contract. 7 more weeks until I never have to listen to her while she has difficulty putting sentences together.

Of course my mood affects the work environment PT*. All of our moods affect the work environment. And funny, what we all have in common, is the fact that we CAN'T STAND YOU. So maybe it isn't my mood that needs changing...maybe a change of personnel is needed. It's no wonder she didn't get tenure at the university she was at before this. She barely works (probably is in the office 20 hours a week...chatting with the receptionist most of the time) and she has some sort of cognitive deficit that is impairing both her memory and her ability.

I wish I could write her an evaluation. In fact, I might do one just for the fun of it and keep it to myself. Or maybe I will post it here...in the anonymity that is the internet.

*Initials changed to those of her nickname to protect her identity, although I don't know why I bother.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, I so hear you! I've had run-ins with two professors this semester about how they see things (not usually accurate). One said that she was worried that I didn't speak up in groups based on a meeting at my clinic site where the supervisor spoke most of the time. After multiple times explaining to her that I do in fact speak up in meetings, and that particular supervisor talks more when she's nervous... she still was worried that I didn't speak up enough in meetings... Finally, after many weeks of this I started casually mentioning the Group Psych class she taught... then, a few weeks later mentioned in a joking way how much I spoke up in that class and argued with a particular classmate... then, a few weeks after that, was able to say, "hey, isn't it funny how sometimes you can forget past experiences? For example, sometimes I think that you forgot how much I talked in the group psych class when you say that you're worried that I don't speak up enough in groups." She thought about it and agreed with me... and now she thinks I speak up in groups. Ugh! This whole thing is a crazy circus some days!

stacey said...

too bad there is no talking to this supervisor. I don't know how she even got her degree.