27 May 2009

Apathy

What can I say, I have hit that point of the year (and probably of graduate school in general) where I am just extremely apathetic and am procrastinating everything. I really cannot wait for this move, because it might be just what I need to kick my butt in gear. Yes, I am up-to-date on my clinic paperwork...even though I could be ahead by beginning my clients' termination reports...but still, I am up-to-date. Yes, I am where I need to be with moving stuff (thanks to the lovely wife). I am up-to-date on my consulting job. I have finished collecting my dissertation data (at least the part I am using for the dissertation/defense). I have started to clean up the data file...so why, oh why, can I not just analyze my data?!!!!! Honestly, it will only take a few more hours of cleaning up the file, merging a few files, and creating some variables...we are talking maybe 10 hours of syntax and I could see the results of over a year's worth of work...but I just don't have the energy.

My dear, dear, dissertation advisor (whom I actually do like quite a bit) reminded me today that I should really get as much done as possible before the move. And he is right. I have 8 weeks...if I can at least just get my data analyzed, that would be good. Once I arrive in Massachusetts, I have a month before I begin, I could easily get a first and maybe second draft of a results/discussion section completed...but I am just so so so tired. I miss free-time. It has taken me 5 years to say this...but there you have it.

Dear dissertation advisor also is pressuring me (or encouraging me in a strong way) to apply for the ABCT student research award...because apparently I need one more thing to throw onto the table right now. Please, if I can't even get my data analyzed, do you really think I can handle that? I'd rather crochet more stuffed animals, thank you very much (animals to be posted soon)...

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, I am so jealous of your dissertation progress! I hope, hope, hope to be as far as you by this time next year!!!!
I keep telling myself that if I could just get xyz done I would have time to do my dissertation... yeah, and there's always a new xyz... My suggestion? Take a week and don't touch in, then plow in and plug through!! One of the interns at my practicum site is currently trying to finish her dissertation as fast as possible.. because she'll be ABD come June 30th. Not where you want to be when that baby comes along (as I know she will)!

Kathryn said...

When are you guys coming into town? I can't remember the dates you mentioned...