28 May 2009

My nightmare of a day

So it turns out that it wasn't five mature follicles but rather 7. And most doctors won't inseminate with that many because of the chance of conceiving multiples. We have been on the phone all afternoon trying to figure out what we can do, because I hate the prospect of a missed cycle. At first we don't consistently produce follicles and now we produce too many. The doctors have agreed to do the procedure with an understanding that we know the risk of selective reduction should we conceive more than three (that is the number my wife and I are willing to go forward with). And we have to give ourselves the trigger shot tonight. One problem: we don't have that prescription and can't get ahold of the nurse. So we are still in limbo, but it looks like this cycle won't be for naught. And with this many follicles it is our best chance so far. Not to mention we probably had multiple follicles last month as well. We just didn't know it because we didn't look at an ultrasound in past months. And we didn't get pregnant then. So what is all this fuss about? I wonder if clomid can have an additive effect for every month you are on it. Maybe I should ask the RE tomorrow.

Who knew there could be even more emotional stress when you get doctors involved. I thought it would reduce stress. Silly me.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Such a crazy road! Triplets would be our highest as well...
Fingers crossed for you two that everything goes the way you want!!