15 January 2010

tears and fears

Last night, as I walked into the bedroom, I came across my wife, starting to cry.
when asked what was wrong, she stated that she had no idea, but that she just felt like she wanted to cry.

Ahhh hormones.

Also yesterday, my wife scared the living crap out of me. She texted me a message in the morning that said "I hope you interview for [a certain out-of-state position that would require traveling]on January 29th. Now, January 29th is the date of our first OB appointment...so, I'm freaking out, thinking that maybe we weren't going to have this appointment because maybe this was my wife's way of telling me that she was in the process of miscarrying.

Nope. Turns out she forgot the date of the appointment and was just really excited because Iron.and.wine is playing at a folk festival around that date and she wants to go.

So now, we are not only having weird emotional fluctuations, but also...lots of forgetfulness...if only I had time to list all the little forgetful things that have happened in the past few weeks...suffice to say, it would be a long list.

And instead of my wife being the one who is constantly freaked out, it's me...mostly because of the forgetfulness and weird emotional stuff coming from her...and my tendency to catastrophize and ruminate.

this if fun.

In other news, I am waiting to hear about post-doc interviews...at the moment, our first choice is about 800 miles from where we currently live (back towards home...for us). Massachusetts is nice...but it's not home...and our friends and family are elsewhere. Sure we could make new friends...but I don't want to. I like the friends I have...I spent a lot of time working on those relationships. So we will see where we end up. I have a pretty good chance at this site. I know people there and there are people in my research area who also work there. The lame part would be moving with a 2-3 week old infant...but we would manage...

I also have a phone interview for a research position in Boston...that would start September of 2010 (we interview real early in my field). This would also be a great position and will certainly pay well...but again...it's not home.

decisions. decisions. I just hope my first-choice position makes me an offer before others...so I don't have to turn people down in hopes that I get the first-choice one. In the end...I need a job...it would suck to turn down the only one that offers. I'm going to try and plan my other interviews as late as possible...that might be a good strategy.

No comments: