20 January 2010

Interview and the ER

I had a phone interview tonight for a 1-4 year research position at a very well-known university in Boston. While on the phone, my wife went out to pick up a food craving for dinner. I got two phone calls from her while on the other line going the interview and didn't answer them. Two minutes after the second call, my interview was over and I calked her back.

She was in a car accident and was being taken to the emergency room. A masshole had decided to turn left through an intersection in front of my wife who was driving straight from the opposite direction (and also had the right of way). The car may be totalled, which I'm not all that concerned about. My wife is fine, but shaky. Her neck is a bit sore. We may have to pursue a settlement for that. The baby is fine. We are probably going to have a follow up with our ob tomorrow.

But that was the worst phonecall of my life so far. And we keep going over the details. A fraction of a second delay in response could have cost us the baby or seriously hurt my wife.

I'll probably be freaked out for a while.

3 comments:

GIsen said...

oh crap! Thank goodness she is alright

Heather said...

I'm so sorry. How stressful and frustrating. I'm glad she's okay and huckleberry too. Hope you'll feel better soon.

Lyn said...

Oh! So glad you are all mostly OK. How scary!

(Less importantly, if you end up in Boston, we may be real life neighbors, or colleagues, depending on which "well known" institution you mean)