11 January 2010

Heart beat on the Doppler

As previously mentioned, my wife bought an at-home-Doppler on the Internet the other day. It arrived today. On the Internet it was advertised that we would be able to hear baby huckleberry's heartbeat from 9 wks onward. However, on the package it came in, it said from 12 wks. That should have been my first clue. Also, keep in mind that we are not quite 9 wks (8 wks 3 days).
But alas, we attempted. We had great fun listening to my wife's ridiculously loud heart beat and my much quieter one (which by the way matches our respective natures in general...hmmm...interesting). We tried to hear the dogs heartbeat but he really was not having it (plus I think he has too much fur). We tried listening to huckleberry without the gel...and nada. We tried with the gel and all of a sudden I heard something! Once I came back to earth, we listened more closely and realized that if couldn't be the baby's heartbeat because it was way too slow. With some very scientific experimentation and deduction, we realized that it was my wife's pulse (again, much louder than it needed to be) from the major artery that runs along the pelvis and hip joint, and down the leg.

Boo. But you should have seen how excited I was. A squirted out half the tube of gel before realizing I was duped.

Nature 1
crazy excited mama-to-be 0

No comments: