05 January 2010

Budding genius

After work on Monday, the wife wanted to go to borders to look at baby books. This is fitting, as she may want to be a children's librarian. So I was trying to think of all the books I loved as a kid, and I was having some difficulty in remembering...until we got to the bookstore. I now want to buy the entire Dr. Seuss collection, the remaining Shel Silverstrin books of poems, the curious George collection, the little miss (insert adjective here) collection (you know-the square books with geometrically shaped characters like "little miss mischief," etc.), the real mother goose, if you give a mouse a cookie collection, and the list goes on and on. We went way over our monthly limit and purchased the following:
Alexander and the terrible horrible no good very bad day
goodnight moon
corduroy
are you my mother
some book about baby animals (the title was not memorable).
We also bought a beatles for babies cd
and a world lullaby cd (in all different languages)

I can't wait until next month when I can add to the collection. So far we have at least twenty books-some new and some from my childhood.
next month it's Dr. Seuss books for sure.

This kid is going to be brilliant.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only who finds the book buying opportunities to be exceptionally fun. Like you, I've set a mental budget. My amazon wishlist is going nuts. How do you feel about used books for the nursery? I'm waffling- part of me wants to be green, the other part wonders if its a good idea from sanitary perspective.

stacey said...

I don't mind used books at all. A few germs might actually be good for the kid. I'm thinking about having my parents send any of my baby stuff they kept. I'm sure there are piles of books. My mom throws away nothing!