30 January 2010

11 weeks and breastfeeding

We had our first official appointment at the ob's today. Boy was it long! Lots of questions about family history. And, as if being lesbian parents wasn't enough to make the ob's practice interesting, I gave her another element that stumped her. Turns out she has never had a non-gestational mother that wanted to ho on hormone therapy in order to breastfeed. I do what I can.

So she is going to get back to us on that one. We have our next appointment in two weeks in order for them to draw blood and do a risk screening for genetic problems. No amniocentesis. No invasive procedure. Just blood drawing and an ultrasound. That will mark the official end of our first trimester. I can't wait for the blissful second. I've heard it's lovely.

4 comments:

GIsen said...

You may want to read the blog firsttimesecondtime. Lyn the non gestational parent induced lactation to share breastfeeding their second child Ira.It was very informative and gave the POV from lyn and gail.

Anonymous said...

My partner and I are both planning on breastfeeding and I will be using horomnes to induce lactation. I am looking forward to reading your experiences.

Lyn said...

Malea's right, we did both breastfeed our son for 6 months (though actually it's Gail that re-lactated). There's a lot of info on our blog if you are curious and click the 'inducing lactation' tag.

You should also feel free to contact us if you want to compare notes (e-mail is on the blog). We weren't able to find another family that had actually pulled it off and kind of felt like we were flying blind, so we tried to document as much as possible.

stacey said...

Thanks for all the help guys!