20 November 2008

Well I didn't want to go there anyway..

I got my first rejection letter from residency programs today. It is way too early to be worrying about notices from places, but from here on out, they will slowly trickle in until December 15, which is the deadline for interview notification. I applied to 19 places, so of course I am expecting some to not even want to see my face for an interview...but it would have been nice to have the first notice be a request for an interview...instead of this "thanks...but no thanks..." letter. After all the work I put into applying, the least they could have done was reimburse my paper costs since I doubt they did a ton of looking at the application. Anyhoo...there you have it. 18 more to hear from. One of which I am 99% sure I will get an interview because I have a very strong and reliable connection to the cite (my advisor used to be the director of the hospital).

I am sort of happy that I am not on two emotional rollercoasters at once. This one doesn't let me off until late February. To think...what would I be like if we were still trying to get pregnant right now. Obviously we would manage...after all, people have had to deal with worse...and I want a baby more than I want a placement for residency...which is for sure saying something since i have been in school for 2 1/2 decades.

In other news...KB and I challenged each other to our very own "biggest loser" contest. Now, when I say this, keep in mind that neither of us is overweight...just pudgy. In fact, we both weigh under 140. That said, in early college I was 100 lbs (of course by late college I had grown two more inches and shattered my ankle, making exercise impossible...). So, our contest is this: whoever loses the greatest percentage of weight in 10 weeks (jan 28) wins a $250 mini shopping spree for clothes. This is saying a lot, since we don't do a lot of shopping...in fact we are pretty frugal with our money, preferring to spend our extra dough on experiential things and practical things (like say...a few grand in sperm). So this contest will be fun. I only have maybe 13 or 14 lbs that I could actually lose without being labeled "underweight." But none-the-less...I was at the gym for 2 hours last night and one hour this morning. I am going to Yoga tonight as well. I will not lose this competition...can't happen. Because I want to go shopping quite badly. And my wife and I never have competitions with this much to win...so that is fun. I am going to enjoy getting all muscular...and KB is considering this part of her journey to prepare her body for pregnancy and to ready us both for motherhood. Wish us luck

No comments: