16 April 2010

ugh...

It's been a bit of a dissertation nightmare around our house lately. My defense is scheduled for 3 weeks and 6 days from now. I have to have drafts to all committee members and the graduate school in 6 days. I live 1000 miles away from my graduate school (because I'm on internship/residency) so I have to essentially mail them by Monday. My advisor is an asshole and I feel like he is trying to dangle his power over me for as long as he can by picking at each little thing. And he is being somewhat snippy and mean about things too. One of his most recent comments about ONE SENTENCE in the entire discussion of the paper, was that it sounded like a high-schooler wrote it. Gee, thanks Asshole. And he recently commented that he feels like I am just throwing in the towell and saying good enough.

This is actually true. I am saying good enough...because it's GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

His main criticisms are that the discussion is somewhat repetitive and redundant in some areas and he would like me to speculate more. I have news for him: 200 page documents that discuss all aspects of a scientific study ARE redundant and repetitive sometimes. It's not a literary piece. It's a scientific paper. There is a certain way to write a scientific paper and that methodical nature of the paper can be boring at times. SORRY!!!!

Although, really I'm not. I really think it's bullshit. It doesn't have to be perfect before going to the defense. So let us just see what other committee members think. Perhaps they think its fine (actually I know two of them do, because they've already said so).

Also, if I may vent, it is not a publication. It is a nightmare of a document that I have been working on for over 2 years now. There are a lot of mundane results to be discuss. If people can read English, they should be able to ascertain for themselves that some of the results are a "Really big deal." To assert this over and over is an opinion, first of all, and unecessary.

Anyhoo. I've now spent about 25 hours this week revising bullshit to make him happy...this is on top of the 45 hours I worked at my real job.

only 3 weeks 6 days to go...only 3 weeks 6 days to go....

this is my new mantra.

No comments: